Reminder: Please be sure to use complete sentences and correct spelling!
Read the following questions and then click on the blue link found in the question to go to the web site that will contain the answer to that question. Not every link will go to the same web page, so be sure to use the links provided. If a new window does not open when you click the link you will need to use the "back" button on your browser to return to the WebQuest. Do one Quest at a time. Remember to have fun!
What are some inventions that we use in our lives that we take little time to think about where they came from and who invented them? This scavenger hunt is designed to make you look around you and appreciate the little things that we take for granted. If someone had not had the bright idea to try to invent something, we may have a very different life.
Take a journey on this quest to identify products, inventors, and parts of the process that they go through in order to make it into your hands.
Your job is to take a journey and search for answers among the websites provided to you. In the "Process" part of this scavenger hunt, you will find questions that you will need to answer. The only way to answer these questions is to click on the blue word or words you will find somewhere in the question. When you click on the blue word or words, you will be transported to a website that will have the answer somewhere on the page. Write your answers on a sheet of paper and when you have finished, please turn it in to your teacher.
*Please be sure to answer the questions in complete sentences!!*
1. According to this website, who invented Silly Putty ? What was the original name given to this substance? What two substances were mixed together to create Silly Putty?
2. What did Joseph McVicker invent? Why did he invent it?
3. Who invented the Potato Chip? What is the story behind the creation of this food?
4. Helen Murray Free invented something that makes life easier for many people with a medical problem . What did she invent? Where was she born?
5. Why did Arthur Fry invent the Post-It Notes ? What was the specific problem that he had that led him to the solution of his problem? Who invented the glue?
6. What was the original name of Kool-Aid ? Who invented it? How old was he when he set up a mail order business?
7. Why did Earle Dickson invent Band-Aids ? What did he cover the tape and gauze with in order to keep it sterile? What company did Earle Dickson work for?
8. How old was Frank Epperson when he invented the Popsicle? Was the invention accidental or planned? Who now owns the rights to the Popsicle?
9. When was Coca-Cola invented? In what device did Dr. John Pemberton create Coca-Cola? Who first scripted the Coca-Cola logo, and what was his job?
10. Who created the Slinky ? What fell on the floor and gave him the idea of making a toy? What is the jingle (song) that goes along with the Slinky?
11. What did Clarence Crane manufacture before Life Savers ? Why did he create Life Savers? What was the first Life Saver flavor?
12. What company made the first kid's crayons ? What colors were in the first box sold? How were Edward Binney and C. Harold Smith related?